Brisk walking is like a wholesome diet which supplies all nutrients. It is the cheapest form of exercise and expensive gym membership costs are saved. The only investment is perhaps a good pair of walking shoes. Brisk walking is a relative term and it varies from person to person. Brisk for some may be slow or speedy for others. A general measure is 100 steps per minute.
Today doctors recommend walking for many patients. Health experts suggest walking 10,000 steps a day (about 5 miles) for all. Meanwhile, power walking is on if you want to lose weight. Walking workout plans have been designed by health experts. The plans vary depending on individual level of fitness. A proper walking timetable increasing the duration for every two weeks is prescribed. There are also variations in terrain or styles if you desire.
Walking is not limited to any age group and is a great exercise option for people of all ages. Here are some advantages of brisk walking that can convince you to get on road right this minute.
- Walking keeps you mentally alert and especially, kids who walk or cycle to school are found to be more independent, alert and ready to learn.
- Walking helps in weight reduction. You burn up 75 calories by walking 2 mph for 30 min, 99 calories at 3 mph and 150 calories at 4 mph.
- Walking outdoors improves the immune system and is a great source of vitamin D.
- It lowers risk of diseases like type 2 diabetes and cancer.
- It tones up leg muscles and gives you energy. Walking helps people who suffer from varicose veins, eases swelling and restlessness in legs.
- Brisk walking boosts blood circulation and increases supply of blood and oxygen to every cell. Researchers in the University of Boulder Colorado and the University of Tennessee found that regular walking lowered blood pressure by as much as 11 points and reduced the risk of stroke by 40%.
- Your digestive system is benefited. Regular walkers noticed improved gastric mobility. Walking uses core and abdominal muscles encouraging movement in the gastrointestinal system.
- It is a great stress reliever and improves your mood making you positive and cheerful.
- Walking improves creativity. Many artists, writers, and even scientists have reported important stimulation and breakthroughs when walking.
- Walking is also environment-friendly and leaves no carbon footprint.
Walking can be easily incorporated into your daily activity. Instead of driving down for everything walking is a good option. Most of the journeys we undertake are within a mile. Walking need not be restricted to a particular time or place. A short walk during your lunch hour will keep you energetic and refreshed. Children can be encouraged to walk or cycle to school. Parking your car a little away from your office/shop is an excuse to walk. Save on your gym fees and start walking today.